web.config error on installation

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

hi

i have added a reference to the 3.5 libraries i donwloaded and then added the web.config reference as instructed. no matter what i try, i continue to get the error message:

"The configuration section 'FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration"

can anyone shed any light on that.

thanks,
rob

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I'd guess something went wrong in a copy/paste into web.config. It looks like the XML is off. Look meticulously for anything that might be off in the tags, maybe a missing ">" or similar.

HTH

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:32 AM

thanks for the reply tony - that was certainly my thoughts too. but a google search does show that type of error can be caused by a million different things, rather than purely a syntax error. my config line - with key fields starred out - looks like this.

<FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration FacebookAppID="2352411598******" FacebookAppSecret="0a12e495405088c1a6711************" FacebookAppAddress="http://apps.facebook.com/***********/" PostAuthorizeRedirectURL="Default.aspx" WebTimeOut="8000">
    </FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration>

no matter where i place it in web.config, the error is the same. i always place it on the outer level so that it is only nested within <configuration> and </configuration>

cheers,
rob

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Here is an edited snip from my web.config -  how does it compare to yours? Notice how the configSections/section tells the config to expect the FGTConfiguration node.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration"
       type="Facebook_Graph_Toolkit.FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration" />
    <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="...">
      <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="...">
      </sectionGroup>
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>

<FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration FacebookAppID="111111111111111"
FacebookAppSecret="2222222222222" FacebookAppAddress="http://apps.facebook.com/aaaa/"
PostAuthorizeRedirectURL="Default.aspx" WebTimeOut="15000"> <CachePolicy Time="900" SlidingExpiration="false" /> </FacebookGraphToolkitConfiguration> <appSettings> <add key="..." /> </appSettings>

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:18 AM

thanks tony - i had missed that top section. i guess the documentation could spell it out a little bit more for amateurs like me :)

cheers,
rob